The local influenza activity has continued to increase in the past week and exceeded baseline thresholds, indicating that Hong Kong has entered the 2019/2020 winter influenza season. The community should heighten vigilance for protection against influenza. It is important that children with fever (oral temperature higher than 37.5C or ear temperature higher than 38C) should not attend school, regardless of the presence of respiratory symptoms.
The following measures are advised to prevent influenza and respiratory tract infections:
- Perform hand hygiene frequently, especially before touching the mouth, nose or eyes; after touching public installations such as handrails or door knobs; or when hands are contaminated by respiratory secretion after coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water, and rub for at least 20 seconds. Then rinse with water and dry with a disposable paper towel or hand dryer.
- If hand washing facilities are not available, or when hands are not visibly soiled, hand hygiene with 70-80% alcohol-based handrub is an effective alternative.
- Cover your mouth and nose with tissue paper when sneezing or coughing. Dispose of soiled tissues into a lidded rubbish bin, then wash hands thoroughly.
- When having respiratory symptoms, refrain from work or attending school, avoid going to crowded places and seek medical advice promptly.
- Build good body immunity by having a balanced diet, regular exercise, adequate rest, reducing stress, do not smoke and avoid alcohol consumption.
- Maintain good indoor ventilation. Avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated public places.
For further information, please visit the CHP resources below:
- The influenza page (http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html)
- Video on “Prevent diseases · Maintain good hygiene” (https://youtu.be/X0OxrsgAP2w)